We've got this! The first semester of the 2017-2018 school year is in the books! Staff are gearing up to get the second semester off and running. But before all that, it is important to encourage our students to take some time to enjoy the winter break.
Here are my top 10 reasons "Why winter break is important for our students!":
10) Students get to say...GOOD-BYE to homework! Students need a break from homework. They need time to clear their thoughts and not have the obligations of homework. Make time to enjoy a good book with your child or help your child fill out a college application, but beyond that, let them have some down time from "homework".
9) Students can catch up on hobbies that they have not had time to complete. Whether it is hunting, drawing, building something, playing computer games, etc, it is important for students to participate in hobbies that are fun over the break. Plan something fun or encourage your child to enjoy their down time with a hobby.
8) Students get to spend time with family and friends! Spending time with family and friends is a great way to relax and unwind from the daily grind of school. Encourage your child to participate in family activities and spend quality time with your child.
7) Snow, Snow, Snow! We don't care if it snows! No more worrying about whether or not an early morning text or message is coming your way to delay or cancel school (O.K., maybe this one is for me!). Allow your child to sleep in over break. Break is a great time for them to catch up on some lost sleep.
6) Students have the opportunity to go outside and play! Enjoy the snow activities (if there is any snow). Build a snowman, ride your bike, or take a walk. It is important to take time over break to enjoy some fresh air with your child. Join them in outdoor activities!
5) Students get to eat some good food! Typically over the holiday there are several opportunities for some really good food! Eat up! Encourage your child to try new things over the holiday - especially new foods!
4) COOKIES! Seems like there are cookies everywhere. It is important to try them all!
3) Older students have the opportunity to make a little extra money. Some students, who work over the break, might get the opportunity to work more hours and earn a little more spending money. If your child isn't old enough for a job yet, encourage them to help around the house, maybe create a chore list for them to do during the break. If nothing else, I'll bet their rooms could use a little attention
2) Students get to wear cozy clothes and winter coats! If any student needs a new winter coat, please contact the school. We have a few left and we would love to give them to our students!
1) And FINALLY... the New Year and new starts. Following the winter break, is the beginning of a new semester. 2nd semester begins Wednesday, January 3, 2018. Encourage your child to begin the new semester with good attendance, homework, grades, etc. The new year brings new possibilities and opportunities for your student! Encourage them to try new activities, classes, and meet new friends.
School will resume for students on Wednesday, January 3, 2018. It will be a normal Wednesday early dismissal that day.
From our CHARGER family to yours….
We wish you and your family a wonderful holiday season filled with fun, laughter, family, friends, and relaxation! Enjoy your time off!
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!